EMC Mechanical Services worked for nearly two years on the renovation of the Hotel John Marshall and were instrumental to the revitalization, of the once grand hotel, converting it to living and retail spaces.
The John Marshall Hotel opened its grand doors in 1929. It was the largest hotel in Virginia at the time and offered more luxuries and modern conveniences unseen in other hotels. When guests arrived at the 5th Street entrance, they walked through the cathedral style doorway, up the stairs of St. Genevieve marble to the lavishly decorated lobby. It is no wonder why the hotel was a favorite of celebrities such as Elvis Presley, Mary Tyler Moore, and Elizabeth Taylor, just to name a few.
Sadly, the John Marshall Hotel fell into serious disrepair and closed its doors in 1988. It was partially reopened in 1999 before closing for good in 2004. John C. Camper, the owner of Virginia Atlantic Development, INC., then bought the ruins of the grand hotel in 2005. After nearly five years of funding and planning problems, the renovation began in April of 2010, with EMC Mechanical Services completing all the mechanical piping and HVAC work for each of the 238 apartments, grand lobby, retail spaces, and ballrooms. The building’s 17 floors were completely gutted and rebuilt using “Green,” environmentally friendly elements, including energy-efficient windows and mechanical systems.
The hotel now offers studio as well as one-and two-bedroom apartments. The Ballroom has been completely restored and is able to cater to wedding and corporate events and guests. The lobby has also added retail space to include the once famous John Marshall Barber Shop that was frequented by many a star before shutting down with the hotel.
The Hotel John Marshall sign now illuminates the skyline of Richmond once again. From the crystals on the chandeliers in the Ballroom to the smallest EMC Mechanical Services-installed pipe. There is no doubt its presence will continue to be a fixture in our city for the years to come.